Saturday 18 August 2007

Moo On Manners



Oooh I am mad!!! I was inspired to write this by a friend of a friend and their quite exceptional display of bad manners!! I am gobby and I am direct, but i like to think my manners are good. I say please and thank you, i admit when i am wrong and apologise. I am not claiming to be perfect but good manners are a big deal to me, so when i see or hear of someone being plain rude it aggravates me beyond belief!! What's the phrase that all mothers rather smugly say at one time or another? "Good manners cost nothing" (Christ, it has happened, i am agreeing with my mother, not long before i turn into her completely!!) If that is the case why do some people have such difficulty displaying them?

I don't think i can go a day without experiencing bad manners in one way or another, bad service in shops, other drivers on the road, my son picking his nose, whatever!! I am not at all holding myself up as a paragon of good manners, i am guilty of not holding open doors, or cursing a fellow motorist, but i know that if i didn't use them most of the time i would exist in a state of permanent guilt!!

The Cambridge dictionary defines manners as : polite ways of treating other people and behaving in public.

Now what is wrong with that? Am i old fashioned? Am i being terribly British? Am i expecting too much? Probably, yes, but why on earth shouldn't i? Oh My God, i nearly uttered, " Wouldn't the world be a nicer place if we all had good manners?". Am i turning in to Doris Day or what?

Anyway, thank you so much for reading my blog and please, feel free to drop by anytime :)

No comments: