Wednesday 4 July 2007

The Great Croc Debate

The point of this post is simple, to decide whether Crocs are super cool, quirky shoes or old fart , gardening shoes!!

I first noticed Crocs some time ago and thought that they were really cool and unusual, or do i mean cruel and unusual? It took me a while to buy a pair, after all i needed to decide whether i actually wanted bright red rubber on my feet!!! So i am waiting for them to arrive in the post, patting myself on the back for being part of a trend for once and at last my super cool , bright red shoes arrive!!! I tear open the packaging, trying to ignore the overpowering smell of plastic emanating from the Crocs , and put them on. Whats the first thing i think? "Ooh these shoes are comfy!!!!" Good god, i had no idea that the Crocs would age me by 25 years, nobody mentioned that in the vast amounts of advertising or magazine coverage i had seen!!!

I basically ended up wearing them around the house at first, the British weather hardly ever allows the wearing of sandals, until i hit upon the idea that i could wear socks with them!!! That should have been red flag number 2 , socks and sandals, that must add another 10 years at least!!! So now, thanks to these shoes, i should be 65 years old and yet i am still crazy about them!!! They are comfy, it's fab being able to wear them in cooler weather and the bright colour cheers me up no end!!

I have been stopped in the street by a woman and told how fab the Crocs were and that she had 2 pairs, i have seen them on other people pretty frequently too. But there is still a huge contingent who think that they are the ugliest things ever made and who can blame them, they were named Crocs because they resembled a crocodile's snout!!

I think basically Crocs are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them and I for one love them!! (even if they do make me 65 years old!!!)

No comments: