Tuesday 3 July 2007

Love Is........?



I came across these sweets recently, just like "Love Hearts", but called "Whatevers". Maybe i am over-reacting but i was not happy when i realised that the sweets of my childhood had been changed in this way, ok so i still bought some "Whatevers", but only to illustrate my rant!!

We've all done the thing of giving someone you like a Love Heart,or at the very least getting your best friend to do it for you!!! Its a sacred , romantic childhood act, like giving someone your last Rolo. So, is this the cool new way to woo that hunky ( did i just say hunky?) boy you've got your eye on? I don't think so!!! I mean, how impressed is he going to be if you give him a sweet that says "Minger"?!?!

It makes my soppy old heart break to know that something so cute and innocent has been corrupted this way......LOVE Hearts are about love !! I'm all for modern slang and have been known to utter the odd "whateva" and "innit" in my time but that's my business. As it turns out the Love Heart i gave my first boyfriend was not so right after all, but hey, if i could, i would have given him one that said "Chav", but it was the 80's and who knew what a Chav was then?

Blimey what are they going to do next? Make Wagon Wheels and Creme Eggs smaller? Oh...hold on......!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, you're over reacting :)
It's not as though Love Hearts have been taken off the market. If you want to to give that hunk the old traditional "Be Mine" heart shaped sweety, buy a pack of Love Hearts, obviously.

If you want to have a laugh and give your mates a sweet that says "minger", buy the Whatevers.

"It makes my soppy old heart break to know that something so cute and innocent has been corrupted this way......LOVE Hearts are about love"... Yes, LOVE Hearts are about love. But LOVE Hearts are not Whatevers. Love Hearts and Whatevers, despite tasting the same and using the same concept, are different sweets manufactured, I'm pretty sure, by different companies. They haven't been corrupted - the sweet just have just been set into a different genre for those who aren't into giving their mates soppy Love Hearts (don't get me wrong, LHs are my favourite sweets), and would prefer to have a joke and give them a sweet that has "CHAV" embossed into it, which, you have to admit, is brilliant.